Saturday 4 December 2021

Wave Race 64 (N64) Review

 
 
Many years ago when I owned an N64 undoubtedly one of my favourite games was Wave Race 64 and thanks to my Powkiddy X18s handheld and the excellent Mupen N64 emulator it still is! Let me just start by saying I absolutely LOVE this game! And over the next couple of paragraphs I shall attempt to explain why…..

Firstly, the graphics - these are fantastic with some really clever effects, from the water which gets increasingly rough and choppy the further you get into the game to the Drake Lake course (my favourite course) which begins shrouded in mist which gradually burns away as your three lap race progresses, it’s just stunning stuff.  The jet-skis look amazing as to the people steering them.

Next audio and controls, the music is just brilliant, fits each course perfectly and is really catchy! Also you’re treated to occasionally verbal notes in the game such as ‘OK’, ‘Everybody’s behind you!’, and should you finish first in a race - ‘BANZAI!’   The controls are perfect too and really easy to master, one button to accelerate, one to brake and the analogue stick to control your jet-ski around the red and yellow buoys all of which have to be passed around to either the left or the right, miss too many and it’s game over!

The normal difficulty level on the game is a very good starting point and is actually quite easy, it’s possible to finish each course in at least 1st or 2nd place thus earning you a place on the podium, the other difficulty levels however present a more considerable challenge so the game eases you in gently!

I cannot recommend this game highly enough, it was brilliant on the N64 then and it’s still brilliant now! It’s totally worth buying a second-hand N64 (or a Powkiddy X18s handheld) just to play this game, it really is that good!

A GameCube Wave Race game was later released, Blue Storm which is reasonably playable on the Dolphin Emulator but early next year I plan on tracking down a second-hand GameCube on eBay with a copy of the game and when I do I shall be reviewing that as well!   For now Wave Race 64 will keep me entertained nicely!  TRJ RATING : 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment