For a long time now I've been a firm fan of the books from a company called Bitmap Books, they're of good quality, lavishly illustrated and packed with quality content, and I've recently taken delivery of what I think are their best two books yet....
The first is called Leaps and Bounds and describes itself as 'a visual guide to nine console generations' beginning way back in 1972 with the Odyssey and finishing in the present day with the Switch 2, two pages are devoted to each system with some information about each one including the month and year of release and the number of games that were released for it, on the opposite page is a screenshot from a key game for that system.
This really is a fascinating read and a useful work of reference too, I discovered many systems in the book that I'd never even heard of as well as all the usual familiar systems, if you've an interest in systems from the past and present this is definitely the book for you!
The second Bitmap book is called Trigger Happy and describes itself as 'a visual celebration of video game controllers' and as with Leaps and Bounds is lavishly illustrated and comes with some postcards of some of the controllers tucked inside the front cover which is a nice touch.
Again the majority of controllers have two pages devoted to them with lots of information about each one and one or more photos of the controller. Again as well as the familiar and well known controllers I discovered many I'd never even heard of, there are a variety of different controllers covered in this book from design masterpieces such as the N64 and Gamecube controllers, to controllers which just look impractical and uncomfortable to controllers designed for use on a specific game. Again a really excellent fascinating book to dip into and enjoy and highly recommended if you're interested in learning more about game controllers.

No comments:
Post a Comment