Friday 3 June 2022

My choice of retro handhelds for travelling

Well Summer is here and we’re therefore getting into that time when people think about travelling and going away so thought I’d post my choices of handhelds to take on the go……


Powkiddy X18s - I’ve always been a total sucker for a clamshell handheld so this is an obvious choice, the build quality could be better and the layout of analogue sticks and buttons could be better but it makes up for this with it’s superb performance, the X18s can easily cope with anything up to and including PSP, Dreamcast, N64 and Saturn and can play some Gamecube and PS2 but not all.  For example I’ve recently managed to get The Simpsons : Hit and Run and The Simpsons : Road Rage running pretty much perfectly through the AetherSX2 PS2 emulator which was a real surprise!  A total powerhouse of a handheld.


Nintendo DSi XL - Yes it’s another clamshell machine but it’s a cracker! With an excellent library of games and a great screen it’s a winner, above pictured is my own Super Mario 25th Anniversary machine which I love, I’ve also set it up with a flash cart which I’ve loaded with all the best DS games.  A great handheld from Nintendo.


Nintendo 3DS - Possibly my joint favourite Nintendo handheld ever (along with the GameBoy Advance SP), the 3DS had some of best games to ever have featured on a portable machine such as Metroid : Samus Returns and Pokemon : Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon to name but a few.  Pictured is my own Pikachu 3DS which is a treasured part of my collection.


Sony Playstation Vita - Bascially a handheld PS1 the Vita looks and feels great with some cracking games such as Unchartered : Golden Abyss and Wipeout 2048 and many more this is a machine that has stood the test of time and is still a worthy machine today, a great travelling companion.



Anbernic RG351M - the first retro emulation handheld I picked up and still one of my favourites, it looks and feels great, has a decent weight to it thanks to it’s metal shell, it plays everything perfectly up to and including PS1 and some N64, PSP and Dreamcast is also possible.  This is a highly pocketable little machine which also has come excellent custom firmware available, my personal favourite being ArkOS.



Miyoo Mini - and lastly we come to the most portable and pocketable handheld of them all, the Miyoo Mini (already reviewed on this blog), looks and feels fantastic with a great screen (especially on the new version) and excellent performance, I love this machine!

So there you have it - my personal choice of retro handhelds for travelling all of which are guaranteed to make the longest journey fly by!

No comments:

Post a Comment